'A modern facility with a history to match any'

The Clubhouse at Hoylake underwent a hugely successful programme of refurbishment at a cost of almost two million pounds before the return of The Open in 2006. Additions and alterations have ensured that the building meets the demands of the twenty-first century and is appropriate to an Open Championship venue.

There is a new reception area for visitors and an excellent Professional's Shop. It was the Club's aim to ensure that visitors receive a warm, helpful and efficient welcome upon their arrival at Hoylake, and these two areas, the ground floor of a substantial extension, have amply fulfilled that brief. On the second storey is the Club's new library, meeting room and balcony, accessible by lift if so required.

The locker rooms and showers are also new, as is the décor of the entire building. State of the art kitchens have ensured that the RLGC's catering, always highly praised, is even better than before.

The Clubhouse is also home to arguably the finest collection of golf memorabilia to be seen outside St. Andrews, and visitors might well take pleasure in making sure they have time to examine it before they depart. There are many pieces of interest dotted all around the Clubhouse, as well as those gathered together in the lobby.

The redevelopment of the Clubhouse has remained true to the spirit of the original building while ensuring that it can cope with the requirements of major tournaments. And perhaps the unique feature of its design that connects past, present and future is the double sided clock erected to commemorate victories by the extraordinary John Ball Jr., the Amateur Champion in 1888, 1890, 1892, 1894 and 1899; and the Open Champion in 1890.

In the period between the founding of the club in 1869 and the building of the current clubhouse in 1895, the club used rooms within the Royal Hotel which was located on Stanley Road adjacent to the current 18th tee. The proprietor of the Hotel was John Ball Jr, father of Hoylake legend John Ball. The Royal Hotel has since been demolished and replaced with houses but it provides the name of the 17th hole 'Royal'.